MannyRayner

Douglas R. Hofstadter
Harold McGee
Epistemic Dimensions of Personhood
Simon Evnine
Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
Christopher M. Bishop
Relativity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology
Richard C. Tolman
The Cambridge Handbook of Second Language Acquisition
Julia Herschensohn, Martha Young-Scholten
Queen's Gambit Declined - Matthew Sadler I gave my goddaughter Sophie a copy of this book for Christmas, and simultaneously bought one for myself. We're going to learn the QGD together. This should be interesting... I have played the White side a few times, generally starting with 1. Nf3, but I have next to no experience as Black. When I played seriously back in the 70s and 80s, my main Black defense to 1. d4 was the Grunfeld, and I sometimes played the King's Indian. These days, when playing quick games on ICC, I have gravitated towards 1... d6 and 1... g6, which don't require you to know much theory. But all that is going to change :)

Sadler's book is highly regarded, and I can see why. It's well organized, with a nice Q&A style of exposition that should make it accessible to lower-rated players. The analysis however looks fairly deep, and hopefully will give me sufficient depth of preparation for my opponents on ICC, who are typically 2250-2450. I will report later on its suitability both for Sophie and for me!