MannyRayner

Douglas R. Hofstadter
Harold McGee
Epistemic Dimensions of Personhood
Simon Evnine
Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
Christopher M. Bishop
Relativity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology
Richard C. Tolman
The Cambridge Handbook of Second Language Acquisition
Julia Herschensohn, Martha Young-Scholten
A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom, Volume 1 - Andrew Dickson White To the Good Reads Club, Pall Mall, London

August 24, 1897

Fraternal greetings from Geneva, Switzerland, where I am spending a week at the Beau Rivage, a splendid establishment on the shores of Lac Léman. They make an infernally good hot chocolate; I was just enjoying my second cup of the morning, when my eye was caught by an elderly gentleman at a nearby table, diligently working on an imposing manuscript which must have been at least a thousand pages in length. Knowing as you do my sentiments regarding books of all kinds, you will not be surprised to hear that I abandoned propriety to the extent of presenting my card and introducing myself; and I was glad I did, for within minutes we were deep in conversation.

The rest of this review is in my book If Research Were Romance and Other Implausible Conjectures