MannyRayner

Douglas R. Hofstadter
Harold McGee
Epistemic Dimensions of Personhood
Simon Evnine
Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
Christopher M. Bishop
Relativity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology
Richard C. Tolman
The Cambridge Handbook of Second Language Acquisition
Julia Herschensohn, Martha Young-Scholten

Lasso rundt fru Luna

Lasso rundt fru Luna - Agnar Mykle From Jan Kjærstad's Forføreren (my translation):
"Okay, listen up guys, who wrote this: 'Her body was moving in great surging billows under him. For one fearful moment they listened to each other's gasping breathing and she whispered in his ear: 'Yes.' The darkness in front of his eyes was lit by myriads of tiny twinkling, singing stars. In cruel rapture mingled with pain and fear he let it happen.'"

"Nabokov," suggested Thomas. "Miller," said Trine. "It's got to be an Englishman," said Alva. "D.H. Lawrence." Axel smiled and shook his head as wilder and wilder suggestions rained down on him from all sides.

"Agnar Mykle," he said. If he had been wearing a hat, he would have raised it: Axel had only one literary hero in Norway, Agnar Mykle. "From a translation of Lasso rundt fru Luna. A scandalously bad one, I should add. The stupid fuckers have cut at least ten sentences just in this little passage. It's a joke."
I give in: I just have to read Mykle's controversial masterpiece. Though so far the best I've found is a Swedish-language edition from 1958.
_____________________________________

Update: after some more searching, I find that Lasso Rundt Fru Luna has recently been reprinted and is available in hardback. The good news is that the text has been taken directly from Mykle's original manuscript, restoring many passages that were cut in the 1954 edition. The bad news is that it costs 399 Norwegian kronor plus another 200 for postage to a non-Norwegian address, making an eye-watering total of about 110 US dollars. In contrast, the used Swedish-language translation I found is only about $20, everything included. Swedish and Norwegian are very closely related languages, and a translation will be unusually faithful to the original. But, damn it, it's still a translation.

What should I do? I just can't decide. My heart is telling me to buy the restored Norwegian version, but my wallet thinks otherwise.