MannyRayner

Douglas R. Hofstadter
Harold McGee
Epistemic Dimensions of Personhood
Simon Evnine
Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
Christopher M. Bishop
Relativity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology
Richard C. Tolman
The Cambridge Handbook of Second Language Acquisition
Julia Herschensohn, Martha Young-Scholten

Troy DeNuthe's World of Ice Cubes

Troy DeNuthe's World of Ice Cubes - Troy DeNuthe I read Professor DeNuthe's book while finishing Carroll Quigley's monumental Tragedy and Hope, and it's impossible not to be struck by the many parallels. Quigley spends 1300 pages giving a multi-faceted picture of world society over the first half of the twentieth century, considering it simultaneously from the points of view of macroeconomics, power relationships, weapons technology, psychology and religion. But DeNuthe, with the capable help of his editor and girlfriend, shows that a much simpler explanation is possible: it all comes down to ice cubes. At first, I will admit that I had my doubts, but DeNuthe's arguments are irrefutable. Socrates, Hitler, the Titanic, blue plastic trays... they all link together into a coherent whole. My view of the world is permanently changed.

I suppose the Nobel Prize committee will go through the motions of considering other candidates, but, frankly, they could spare themselves the trouble. Remember you read it here first.
_______________________________________________

I recently came across this interesting page and immediately turned to my well-thumbed copy of World of Ice Cubes, expecting to find Professor DeNuthe's authoritative opinion set forth in his usual forthright style. Alas, nothing! But hopefully in the next edition?