MannyRayner

Douglas R. Hofstadter
Harold McGee
Epistemic Dimensions of Personhood
Simon Evnine
Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
Christopher M. Bishop
Relativity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology
Richard C. Tolman
The Cambridge Handbook of Second Language Acquisition
Julia Herschensohn, Martha Young-Scholten
The Mind of God: The Scientific Basis for a Rational World - Paul Davies Celebrity Death Match Special: The Mind of God versus Le Petit Prince

The next asteroid the Little Prince came to was inhabited by a Pop Scientist. He was just putting the finishing touches to a large book.

"Good morning!" said the Little Prince. "I see you have written a book. Maybe you could tell me what it is about?"

"It is called The Mind of God," said the Pop Scientist. "It is about how wonderful the world is, and what we can learn from that about the Person who may or may not have made it."

"I enjoyed Signor Dante's book very much," said the little Prince. "Is yours similar?"

"Not really," said the Pop Scientist.

"Then what is it like?" asked the Little Prince.

"Well," said the Pop Scientist. "I consider the fine tuning of the physical constants and the unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics as an explanatory mechanism. That surely tells us something important. Though one must also consider the consequences of Gödel's Theorem. And I often use Conway's Game of Life as an illustrative example."

"I said something like that to God the last time I met Him," said the Little Prince.

"Really?" said the Pop Scientist. "And what did God reply?"

"He just laughed," said the Little Prince. "And then I woke up."

"I do not think you understand anything about these matters!" said the Pop Scientist angrily.

"You are quite right," said the Little Prince. "But all the same, I believe I understand them about as well as you do. Now I must be going."

Another one! he said to himself as he saw the asteroid getting smaller behind him. Yes, grown-ups are very, very, very strange.