MannyRayner

Douglas R. Hofstadter
Harold McGee
Epistemic Dimensions of Personhood
Simon Evnine
Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
Christopher M. Bishop
Relativity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology
Richard C. Tolman
The Cambridge Handbook of Second Language Acquisition
Julia Herschensohn, Martha Young-Scholten
The Lunatic Cafe - Laurell K. Hamilton If I had to do this review in two words, it wouldn't be a challenge: Twilight Noir. Okay, it's historically inaccurate, since Stephenie Meyer stole the idea from Laurel K. Hamilton rather than vice versa, but apart from that it's close to the facts. We have the basic Twilight scenario: human woman is simultaneously in love with a vampire and a werewolf, but for bizarre reasons can't actually have sex with either of them. Instead of the infuriatingly wimpy Bella, though, we have tough-as-nails Anita, who's your generic noir private eye. And instead of the bizarre Twilight plot we're served the usual noir routine, with Anita getting threatened, beaten up and shot at, as she wise-cracks her way from one perilous situation to another, kills the occasional supernatural creature or human, and, needless to say, solves the case.

The rest of this review is in my book If Research Were Romance and Other Implausible Conjectures